Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Track Time with Eggers

Warmup: 1.6 mi in 14:46 - 9:15 ppm
Workout: 3 x 400-300-200 meters with 60 seconds between reps and 90 seconds between sets.
Cooldown: 1.36 mi in 11:42 - 8:34 ppm
Goal:  Short workout to re-gain some foot speed and turnover after a two-week break.

I really love my new shoes. They almost feel like racing flats, but they're just a little heavier. I hope they hold up and that they don't prove to be too light. I awoke at 5:30 a.m. this morning and drove over to Daniel Eggers' house to meet him for a workout. We headed over to Marion Diehl Park on Tyvola, right across the street from his neighborhood.

Eggers tried to get us both killed by leading the way through a dark, twisting, rooted trail in the woods across from his neighborhood. Luckily, we survived the warmup and made it to the park. This was my first experience at Marion Diehl. There is a decent-sized facility at the front, a field or two, and an asphalt track enclosing a soccer field and some bleachers.

We wanted to run a few 400s, 300s, and 200s at faster than race pace, and we accomplished that goal. My breathing was very heavy at the start but by the third set I felt fantastic. Eggers led the way for awhile and then I took over at the end, spurred on by knowing he was right there to push me. This is the first time I've done a workout with another person since....the mile repeats at McMullen with Brinkley? It really makes a huge difference.

I used Running Buddy to keep an eye on my mile pace but I didn't set it up for a workout. Here are our splits, via Eggers: 1:21, 1:01, 0:37; 1:16, 1:01, 0:36; 1:19, 1:02, 0:32. Not including rest, our accrued average pace was 5:04 per mile. Eggers had to get to work and I debated doing more, but was unusually dehydrated so we cooled down back to his house and called it a day. If I don't race this week I'm definitely doing a second workout, so I'm satisfied with the day's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment