Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Group Run at McAlpine

Distance: 10.23 mi
Time: 01:14:31 - 7:16 ppm
Running Buddy

In keeping with the plan to do long runs with a (fast) group, I peeped the CRC Facebook page to see the main long run option involved McAlpine for this week. I think I can go ahead and state for all future references that McAlpine is simply the best place to run in the Charlotte area. There is nowhere else that offers the combination of easy access, a soft surface, potential miles of trails, and a legendary race course. There is nowhere else in Charlotte that could be considered a legendary race course; nevermind the other factors.

I was the first to drive up for this group run, and I finally met CRC co-founder Jay Holder for the first time as we waited to see who else would show up. It quickly became apparent that we would have a good-sized group, especially considering the 6:30 a.m. Sunday morning start. Jay and I were quickly joined by a middle-aged black guy named A.J., then Alex Wernikoff, Paul Mainwaring, Jason Martin, Caitlin Chrisman, Stephen Spada, and at least two other dudes whom I don't know.

We headed down the greenway at an easy 7:40-ish pace, with yours truly fully aware that it wouldn't stay that slow for long. Paul turned around after less than a mile; I'm assuming he had started an hour earlier. Jay asked me a few questions about my car and I turned into a Hyundai Motor salesman for about five minutes. Believe me, they are making the best cars for the mainstream buyer right now. I'm not saying that because I have one; I have one because I know this to be true.

John Compton joined us at the park and our group headed towards Harris Boulevard. Jay, Caitlin, and I had been setting the pace for awhile and I eventually eased towards the back to have a few words with Compton. I had noticed he missed the latest GPX race, King Tiger, and I asked him about it, assuming he wasn't really training for the series. I figured this was his year to win it but he told me that his coaching duties and several high-level out-of-town races would pull him away from the series for most of the year. I guess that means it's Paul's for the taking (Paul won King Tiger easily in a time of 16:08).

As discussed previously, I actually do enjoy running alone - it's just that I want to get faster and the solo stuff isn't going to help. Running in a large group on a narrow greenway is a new experience once again; at one point I threw back my left arm to stretch and nearly took off A.J.'s head in the process. But all in all, I think it will work wonders and I consider myself a regular amongst the Sunday group runs from here on out. The pace was quick for a long run, as we clipped along in the low 7s for most of it, but the conversation and the large group made it go by fast. When I wasn't joining Compton and Caitlin in making fun of Chris Elder I was talking NBA Finals with Jason and some guy I don't know.

We got back to the park and Compton, Martin, and myself split off from the group to visit the water fountain and the bathroom. We would fail to re-up but it was just as well for me as I was over 8 miles in with a 2-mile run back to my car. I ran back with Jason and we reeled off 7-flat pace for the last one-mile-plus. We discussed coaching some more and as I prepared to head home he took off back down the greenway - saying something about having another 45 minutes for today's run.

Getting the run out of the way early does wonders for me. Logistically speaking, it makes sense because it's 20 degrees cooler, but it also sets the tone for the rest of the day. I already feel like I've accomplished that one thing, that GREAT thing, and whatever other travails throw themselves my way for the rest of the day, I will be all right.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment