Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Karhus! -Or not. New shoes, again?

I mentioned in a previous post how I had found the shoes I wanted - the lime-green Karhu Fast 2. I ordered some at Inside-Out Sports, and yesterday I finally got the call that they had arrived. So, I went down there to pick them up this morning, eager to hop in a workout right after the purchase...only to find out that Inside-Out had ordered the wrong size. Not only that, but they would not be getting any Karhus in my size any time in the next eon, or so I was told.

Undaunted, I immediately drove over to the Charlotte Running Company, assuming they still had the pair in my size I had tried on two weeks ago. Not only was this not the case, but the manager claimed they never had that particular shoe in my size. It was as if I was imagining the whole thing.

Extremely daunted, I now shifted my attention to Run For Your Life once more. I have mentioned how I accidentally bought a pair of Saucony trail shoes, with the intention of wearing them when I can at McAlpine, and how I love the New Balance 480, but that they might be too light. Well, I've determined they are in fact too light. Suitable for workouts and races, yes, but not for long runs or other heavy training. Wearing the Brooks Defyance, I once again sought out "Ben" at RFYL and explained my dilemma: most comfortable running shoes I've ever had; stable enough for long-distance training but light enough for racing; worn out on the tread after 300 miles.

Ben looked at my shoes and listened to my explanation of the mileage and said, "Oooo...yeah... ." I told him I'd love to try a different model of Brooks, and he brought back the newest edition of the Ghost - the Ghost 4, actually. I love the way they look, and he told me they'd be a bit lighter than the Defyance. And so, off I went. I figure even if these don't last any longer than the Defyance they'll at least get me to September, which means I won't have to keep dropping dimes on running shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment