Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Shorter Long Run

Distance: 10.39 mi
Time: 01:16:16 - 7:20 ppm
Running Buddy

I met up with Brinkley for the Sunday long run a little later than I wanted. It was Dave's idea and I was fine with it because I had to work late the night before and didn't get a nap after the race. We would suffer for it, however. Alex Wernikoff was at the park waiting for us, having already done 6 miles on his own, and the three of us set off down the trails for a bit. We were due to come back and get Mitchell and his wife, Meg, twenty minutes later.

Alex, unlike us, was awake and warmed up and it wasn't long before we were running 7:10 pace. I pleaded with him to let us get warmed up first, or go on without us, and eventually I just dropped back and ran alone as we made our back to the lot to get Mitchell.

I peppered Mike with questions about his North Meck days and what his former teammates were now doing, and we rolled along at a surprisingly consistent pace. Talk eventually shifted to marathon training, how Mitchell and I need to just get to the starting line this year and then we'll tear it up. Alex is running Savannah, Mike's in line for NYC and Dave and I have not decided yet.

Towards the end of the run I started picking up the pace and Mike and Dave came with me. We ran 6:51 for mile 10 and got down to 6:30 pace for the last half-mile. And yes, that's faster than I ran in my second mile of yesterday's race.

Speaking of yesterday's race, I'm still pretty bitter about the whole thing. I've always wanted to run a race that finishes around the lake at Freedom Park, and when I had the chance, I blew it. I'll get a chance to run a better race soon but suffice it to say that I'll be at Summer Breeze in 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment