Pages

Sunday, July 3, 2011

2011 Charlotte Firecracker 5k

Location: Olde Providence Elementary School
Warmup: 2.59 mi in 00:21:56 - 8:28 ppm
Race: 3.08 mi in 19:08 - 6:13 ppm; 1st in age group, (?) overall
Cooldown: 1.58 mi in 00:15:20 - 9:42 ppm
Results by Age Group

Naturally, the 7:00 p.m. start time for this one threw a curve in my pre-race plans. I feel like I'm back in the swing of things as far as my pre-race adjustments and preparation after so many years away from this sport, but there's a big difference between having a couple hours and having an entire day. I just woke up a little later than usual, ate a big power breakfast, and tried to relax around the house all day without going too stir-crazy. I actually had some things to catch up on around here so I suppose that helped, and I ate some chicken and pasta around 3:00.

The Brooks Ghost 4 .
I had yet to register, so I wanted to get to the site early. I picked up Anne Marie and we made it to Olde Providence Elementary just after 5:30. There wasn't much of a crowd at this point so I walked right up, paid my fee, and reviewed my packet. I did get a shirt (they weren't guaranteed to anyone who signed up later than Wednesday) and was pleased to note that I didn't have to put a chip on my shoe, as this one was also a strip on the back of the race number. Hopefully Run For Your Life will eventually join us all in the future of timing systems and do away with those annoying chips. (It's funny, I remember when that chip system first came out and we were all raving about how great and convenient it was - just another example of how my running career has come full circle).

A.M. wanted to get in a few miles for the day so she took off while I affixed my bib to my shorts. It was well over 90 degrees and I had already decided I was going to race shirtless. I had a decision to make on shoes - the new Brooks I just bought or the less durable - but lighter - New Balance. When Anne Marie came back I was ready to warm up so we took off down the street to run part of the course. This was extremely early for me to be doing a warm-up but I was glad to be done with it.

We got back to the school and the crowd was much larger by now. I think I heard someone say there were over 300 runners registered - not bad for a first-time event on a holiday weekend. I saw Chad (racing) and Danielle (cheering), then Jade and Jessica Costen (both racing!). I also saw Alejandro Arreola, whom I don't know personally but do know is pretty quick. There were also high school kids everywhere, so I figured I may actually be pretty far back in the pack for this one. I removed the Brooks and put on the New Balance and then decided I would be better off wearing the Ghost for this race. So that decision was made. I must say that it was a good one as I never thought about my shoes at all during the race.

We walked down to the starting line, said hello to my dad, who had come to watch and take some pictures. We ran into Jamaar and Christi and I handed Anne Marie my stuff as she wished me good luck and darted off further down the course. I did some strides and tried to get loose. It was hot. The hopes for a quick rainstorm to cool things had diminished by now. I've run well in the heat before, but not lately.

At the start: Chad (center), Alejandro (behind him), and me (to their left).
[photo by Barry Blackwood].

High school kids, fast out of the gates!! [photo by Barry Blackwood].

As we were given the command, a legion of kids ranging in age from I would guess 8 to about 18 darted off like bats out of hell. It was amazing. This is normal behavior, but here it was to a degree I had yet to witness. One kid even stopped and dropped out after less than a quarter-mile, as if he suddenly remembered he could be inside playing video games. I tried to start off at a pace I thought to be incredibly slow - and then go even slower than that. Since Chad was right next to me, I quickly realized it still wasn't slow enough. I backed off and glanced at my watch - about 5:30 pace. Truth be told, the downhill start did make it easier.

This truly was a rolling course - not as bad as Great Harvest in that the hills weren't as steep, but in some cases the incline was more gradual. We made a turn and I saw Carolyn Maye way up ahead in the distance, and wondered why she started out so fast. Her blond ponytail became my target point as I began to pick off the rabbits. Alejandro had started off even slower than I had, and he came trotting past me as I was still passing people up a hill. I was pleased with the way I was attacking the hills - something that has been a weakness recently.

I actually took water at one point to relieve my arid throat, and then came through mile one in 6:01 feeling like I was in pretty good shape. Carolyn was a lot closer to me now so I actually threw in a surge to go by her. I kept going,  passing an older guy who apparently decided to register under the name, "Farrah Fawcett." As I passed him, he began to talk, calling out, "OH YEAH! Way to go for it, dude!" -and that was only the beginning of his mouth.

We came down Abbotswood and turned on Lancer, approaching the CRC crew at the water stop. I spotted Aaron, who squirted me with a super-soaker, and Kahn, who had his camera phone at the ready. Farrah Fawcett and I ran side-by-side around some more hills. I couldn't tell if he was trying to encourage me or making fun of me. We passed people who knew him and shouted things like, "Frank, you call this racing?!" or (to me), "Dude, you know he's like, 50, right?" Dude! I can kick his ass after the race, if you want? We came by the CRC crew again, and Kahn began chasing me with his camera. I tried to think of something witty to say, such as "Why 5k?" or "Why 95 degrees?" (Kahn runs a website called Why Marathon?). He told me to watch out for the dude passing me, telling me to kick hard. Between the camera and Frank/Farrah Fawcett yelling out, "Gonna have to be harder than THAT!!" I just started laughing. That probably cost me a few seconds.

This smiling psychopath proved to be too fast for me today.
[photo by Barry Blackwood]

I had nothing to catch Farrah Fawcett, and Carolyn wasn't close enough to catch me, so I was now all alone with less than a mile to go, and I slowed down badly. I had hit even splits of 6:01 and 6:01 for the first two miles but was now wilting in the heat, on the way to a 6:40 (there it is again) third mile. At least this time I felt like I had done some racing. Put me in halfway decent weather conditions and I'm willing to bet I don't wilt like that. I finished just over 19 minutes, a fittingly frustrating end. I didn't enough to catch Farrah, but I had enough to break 19 and just didn't quite bring it out. I was thoroughly whipped afterwards, though.

Making the turn to finish. Hurting, but trying to press. Stomach looks flabby but form looks ok.
[photo by Barry Blackwood]

Better view. [photo by Barry Blackwood]

After the race I cooled down with Anne Marie and discussed my initial disappointments with the performance, but having given it some thought later I felt better about it. I didn't know what to expect today with the later start and the heat. Had you told me beforehand I would run 6:40 for mile 3 and still almost break 19, I probably would have been all right with it. The race pictures indicate that I clearly have about 10 pounds I can lose, and if that doesn't happen by the end of August, it will happen during marathon training. So there is definitely room for improvement.

There was a pool party afterwards, and I got a chance to ham it up with A.M., Paul, Aaron, Billy, Emily, and Laura Sudduth. It was a great event and one I may have to put on the calendar for next year, as well. Thanks for reading.




1 comment:

  1. Great race in the oven! Video is up @ youtube.com/CharlotteRunningClub.. good stuff

    ReplyDelete