Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Mile Repeats with Brinkley

Warmup: 00:16:29 for 2.0 mi
Workout: 4x1-Mile at 5k goal pace with 2-min rest
Cooldown: 00:18:03 for 2.0 mi
Goal: Three mile repeats equals just less than a 5k, so we wanted to throw in a fourth. The idea was to run at goal pace, but seeing as I haven't raced in forever, I had no idea what "goal pace" should be. Basically, I wanted to keep it as close to 6 minutes per mile as possible.
Conditions: 85 degrees and very humid.
Actual: Mile splits were 5:59, 6:20, 6:31, and 6:30.

David and I had tentative plans to meet early in the morning for this one, but neither one of us made it, so we met at McMullen Greenway in south Charlotte at 5:30 p.m. It was hot and very humid as we set off on the trail for a two-mile warmup. As stated above, I wanted to keep my mile splits as close to 6-flat as possible, but I honestly had no idea what I was capable of on this day. One always must factor in the heat when doing a workout; it no doubt slows you down a good bit.

I asked David to set the pace and I ran just off his left shoulder as we headed down the greenway. We realized we were running 5:25 pace at one point so we slowed down. Oops. I tried to settle in a groove but noticed that my breathing was becoming heavy - although, my legs felt fine. David pulled away a little bit and finished about 7 seconds ahead of me. I was right where I wanted to be - 5:59 for mile one - but knew that fast start was going to hurt me in the next few repeats.

Surely enough, I struggled on the next one. David pulled away pretty early and finished a good bit ahead of me on this one. After I was done, I gave him a head start so we would have equal rest. I would go on to do this for the last one, as well. Looking back, I probably would have been better off just taking shorter rest and trying to stay with him. We both withered in the heat in the last two splits, but I couldn't help but notice I had a strong kick on the last one. I need to remember how to push myself, I guess.

All in all, I wouldn't call this workout a total failure, but I clearly have a long way to go. Also, I may have to get used to waking up at 5:30 a.m. and getting this crap out of the way early. My first three repeats equaled 18:50, which is probably about a 19:30 5k. So, I'm not in bad shape. Take away the late-afternoon humidity and add about 30 race competitors and I think we lower that time significantly. Alas, back to the drawing board.

Stats and Map for the workout portion.

No comments:

Post a Comment