Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Longest Run of the Season

Distance: 14.14 mi
Time: 01:43:25 - 7:18 ppm
Running Buddy

Two weeks ago I hit 14, for a season-long, and last week I went back down to just over 10, so I wanted to hit 14 or more today. I would have been okay with doing at least 12, but I told myself I'd keep going if I felt all right. The CRC group options for the day were either 6:30 a.m. at Providence Day or 7:00 a.m. at Old Bell (with the same group). I almost made the 6:30 option. I wanted to be able to run the first few miles with them so as not to have to join in when they were already doing sub-7:20 pace. Alas, 7:00 it was.

The group was huge today. Caitlin, Paul, Alex, Jason Martin, Beigay, and a couple more joined us at Old Bell after starting at PDS. Waiting with me at Old Bell were Aaron, Kahn, Boriana, Caleb, Compton, Alana Hadley, both Fillnows - I can't remember everyone. The Hovises met us later down the greenway. I love it when Kahn shows up because he's freakin' hilarious, and this was the first time I got to run with El Presidente, Senor Linz.

After we made it to the park, Paul and Alex took off for a tempo run. We came back through "lower Boyce," as they call it, where I badly turned my left ankle on the trail. Sprained ankles never heal, so it's a recurring issue for me - the left one, especially - not a big deal but it means I'm in for a not-so-fun week. We went back to Old Bell to pick up Meagan Nedlo - who wasn't there - and Boriana called it a day.

I'm still a little weird about running in large groups, so I normally end up setting the pace. It was Caitlin, Jason, and I up front for most of it and we kept it under 7:10 for a good portion. The funny thing about group long runs is how people just drop off and go home one-by-one. You'll be talking to someone, and then all of a sudden they're gone - out of your life again. Very strange. I ran with Caitlin and Jason almost all the way back to Sardis before turning around and heading back to my car all by my lonesome. I got in just over 14 for the day, making this my longest run of the season so far by a hair. I ran a faster pace and felt much better than I did a couple weeks ago, when we ran through Matthews for 14. The slightly cooler weather definitely helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment