Pages

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Touring Matthews

Distance: 14.00 mi
Time: 01:44:44 - 7:28 ppm
Running Buddy

I woke up at 5:30 this morning, unsure if I wanted to try a workout or join the CRC group of Paul and a few others for a long run...and it's this lack of organization that beckons a structured training plan in my life. I've been working on it through Athleticore, and researching some more ideas for workouts, but for right now I just need to get the discipline I'm displaying on weekends to carry over to the week.

I knew I'd end up joining the group after going back to sleep for a while, and I made it to the Sardis lot just before 7 a.m. Soon, I was joined by Ben Hovis, Paul, Jay Holder, Billy Shue, Mike Kahn - whom I met for the first time - and two other guys. I was wearing the Saucony trail shoes, so I was a little surprised when Hovis led the group up Sardis Road, away from the greenway. Billy and Paul later told me we'd be running through Matthews for a bit as a break from the park. Fair enough, but I had a feeling I'd be buying a second new pair of shoes after this run (and I was right).

Hovis looped us through downtown Matthews and eventually to a greenway just off Trade Street, where we all promptly got lost. The pace stayed conversational, though it did dip down below 7:10 for at least one mile after starting off easy. Our group wandered down the greenway and ended up right near the Matthews exit of I-485 - a little off the beaten path, for sure - before heading back into the town. I started to feel a bit rough about 10 miles into this. This pace is quicker than I used to do for long runs, sure, but it didn't bother me at all last week or the week before. I attribute it to poor nutrition for most of this week.

I stopped to re-lace my shoes as they were most definitely bothering me, being on the roads and all, but I caught back up to the group when they stopped to find water at a church. I led the way down Fullwood and back to 51 before slowing down for good. I was nearing that "barrier point" where I was about to reach recently-uncharted territory as far as distance is concerned. I definitely hit a major wall before mile 12, but I was pleasantly surprised to look at the watch afterward and find that I still kept those last 2 miles under 8-minute pace, despite the pain.

I was soon joined at the park by Jay and Kahn, and we sang Happy Birthday to Kahn's son rather enthusiastically. I have to say this run hurt but as I write this I have since done yard work, chased my niece around the yard a good bit, gone out and bought some new shoes, and grilled steaks and chicken for the whole family (sis goes back home tomorrow). So clearly, I recovered just fine. Hopefully I'll finally do what I've been saying I need to do for weeks - starting eating clean again. Either way, it's nice to once again up the distance barrier by a few miles. I'm really hoping the recent long runs will do wonders for me, especially since I've taken a two-week break from any kind of speed work.

It all gets going again this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment