Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Humid Shakeout

Distance: 6.35 mi
Time: 00:46:15 - 7:16 ppm
Running Buddy

I had meant to get in a quick 3-5 miles early this morning before helping my sister get the girls back to Savannah, but the infant woke up early, thereby changing our schedule. I followed her almost all the way to I-95; including stops, I was on the highway for almost 8 hours. When I got back, I had an urge to use the legs and try out my new shoes.

New Balance has unveiled a new numbering system for its shoes, and I got the 480, which as I understand it is the base version of their high-mileage performance series. If I like this shoe I may consider upgrading to the 880 next time; the 880 is basically New Balance's version of popular shoes such as the Nike Pegasus, the Mizuno Wave Rider, and the Brooks Defyance, the shoe I just discarded. Clearly, I'm in the process of trying to find a brand, or just switching around until I get something I like. I have deemed Nikes too uncomfortable for the foreseeable future so I'll keep shopping around.

Anyway, I felt surprisingly fantastic today. It was over 90 and humid and I was coming off a tough long run, but I felt great and just cruised along. The shoes are very light and made me feel fast. One can never have too many psychological edges, so I'm happy to have another for now.

I also think these fast (for me) long runs are starting to increase my fitness. Not only did this pace feel easy today but the distance also seemed very short. I ran out on the greenway for a bit, turned around, and I was done.

No comments:

Post a Comment