Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Hot Quarters

Warmup: 2.04 mi in 15:51 - 7:46 ppm
Workout: 12 x 1/4-mile at better than goal race pace with 60-second rest between reps.
Cooldown: 1.89 mi in 15:24 - 8:09 ppm
Running Buddy

I started off in the morning, a little later than planned but it wasn't too bad out - or so I thought originally. I headed to McAlpine to put in some work. I finished a warmup from Sardis to the park and ran into Megan Hovis, who was coaching a group of kids. Yesterday, I signed up for her race (she and some others are volunteering at Upgrade Lifestyle 5k) and she told me that Ben would be racing as well. I think Allen Strickland, whom I met at the post-race breakfast Saturday, is running that one as well, so there should be some decent competition.

I was running 12 true quarter-miles, a workout I did at UNCC about 7 weeks ago, and I performed much better this time. I faded a bit at the end, wilting in the heat, but I had plenty of turnover in the early portions. I think some company could have done me a lot of good in the middle sections, where I slowed, and the short rest (only a minute) was a factor, as well.

But I got in a solid workout. I had a brief moment of panic before I started my cooldown. After the warmup I had stopped at the park to use the bathroom. I was ready to run back to my car when I noticed my metal key was not wrapped around my finger, as it was supposed to be. I headed back to the bathroom, knowing I had left it there, and began wrapping my mind around the logistics of running all the way back home (7 miles? 8 miles). But mostly I just hoped it was still there - and it was. I ran a shorter cooldown than normal on account of being ready to just get the hell out of the blazing hot sun. Good day, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment