Pages

Friday, June 24, 2011

Upgrade Lifestyle Course Preview

Distance: 2.98 mi
Time: 00:22:37 - 7:34 ppm
Running Buddy

This morning I headed up to Huntersville to pick up my race packet and check out the course I'm supposed to run tomorrow. The added bonus to this trip is I got to use the sweet navigation system on my Android for the first time. I also used the Places application to find a good breakfast spot after the run, but hey, we're not here to talk about my phone.

I pulled into a suburban golf neighborhood across the street from Birkdale Village and into the Birkdale Residence Club. Here, a very friendly woman  handed me a bag of goodies that included my race number, timing ribbon (what the timing piece will be is always a fun guess at these random events), and the latest in what is beginning to be a large pile of race t-shirts. She then directed me to a map on the wall that showed the course.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have an out-and-back course! I have never run one of those before! Now, this could be exciting! It appeared we start on the street adjacent to the club and run to the end of the road and back. The map made it look like we would turn around right past a street called Bridgeford, but in doing so I measured the course short. I have a feeling we are actually expected to run to the cul-de-sac and back.

The course mostly climbs for the first 1.5 miles or so, but you know what that means? It's downhill the last half. There are some slight inclines and declines in either trip but the big hills will be ups at the beginning and downs at the end. My plan is to start out rather pedestrian at the beginning - maybe as slow as 6:10 pace - and then be prepared to let the legs fly with about a mile to go.

We'll see what happens. I don't really know what to expect as far as time. Really, I just want to see a better effort out of myself, especially after last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment