Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Booty 200s

Warmup: 1.42 mi in 00:11:54 - 8:22 ppm
Workout: 3.20 mi in 00:23:39 - 7:23 ppm [16 x 0.13 mi with 45-second rest between reps]
Cooldown: 2.57 mi in 00:22:29 - 8:44 ppm

After I purchased my Brooks Ghost at RFYL, one of the newbies gave me the spiel about how Brooks guarantees the shoes for a short amount of time and if I'm unhappy with the purchase blah blah blah, and maybe I should go easy in them or run on the treadmill just to be sure at first blah blah blah..

I was about two hours late for a workout and running on an empty stomach, so I threw the new shoes in my car and headed to Freedom Park to do some 200s. I slapped them on, tightened them up, made note that they certainly appear heavier than the Defyance, and set off on my Booty Loop/Greenway route. I stopped less than two miles and reset Running Buddy, which wasn't working properly at the moment. Then I programmed it for 16 x 0.13 miles (a little longer than 200 meters). I had wanted to do 24 but figured that was asking too much in the heat of the day.

I had to run up some hills and there were some instances when I had to slow down to cross the street or dodge a car, but for the most part I was glad to be doing my workouts on a surface other than McAlpine. I felt like this was better race simulation, right down to the part where I had to dodge a Toyota Celica at the Upgrade 5k. I feel like I ran pretty hard for the most part. There were some stretches where I ran as fast as 5:05 pace for several repetitions; I ran way over 6:00  pace for a few of them, too, but those were near the end and/or on the sections where I had to slow down due to unforeseen circumstances.

Avoiding some shoe drama would have put me out there earlier this morning, but I got the work done and I'm relatively happy with how it went.

No comments:

Post a Comment