Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Anne Marie's Pick-Up Run

Distance: 8.00 mi
Time: 01:06:10 - 8:16 ppm
Running Buddy

I met Anne Marie at the Dowd Y to do what she had scheduled for today: an 8-mile run with a pickup at the end. I'm not really sure what to call this one - it's not a tempo run, but certainly not an easy run. Pickup run? Fast finishing run? Oh well, let's not worry about semantics.

So far I am 0-for-2 in meeting the Dowd crowd on Wednesdays, and I can see I'm missing out. It appears to be  a big group both days. Today I saw Paul, Jamaar, Jason Martin, the Fillnows, the Crockfords, and a few more I didn't recognize. Hopefully I'll wake up in time next week, folks!

We were scheduled to run 8:30 pace (or so I thought) for the first five miles and then drop it down to 8 or under for the last three. We ran from the Y towards the NASCAR museum and then decided to run on the Little Sugar Creek greenway, since she had never run on it before. Our first five splits were 8:30, 8:18, 8:30, 8:26, and 8:29.

We began picking it up, running 7:54, 8:06 up some hills, and then 7:53 for our last three miles. I think we started out faster than she wanted but she maintained her form and got the work done, including some tough uphills near the end.

Since I'm racing this week, this was a bit further than I wanted to go but the slower pace should make up for it. I'll just keep it simple tomorrow - course preview shakeout run up in Birkdale and that's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment