Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Downtown, and All Around..

Distance: 12.51 mi
Time: 01:35:18/7:37 ppm

My goal for this week was to do a long run that actually felt long, so this would be my longest run of the "season." I had to go by Capital Grille to check on the valet boys at 4:30, so I decided I would start from downtown and just see where the legs would take me.

I parked my car on Poplar Street and set off down 6th in the direction of Frazier Park. I wasn't sure what to expect of Frazier Park; I only knew it was there from having run the Komen 5K course a few times last fall and seeing a greenway go under 4th Street. I ran away from downtown on the north side, on 4th, and then ducked into the park to see what it was all about. The fellas were out hoopin' it up on a basketball court and there was a married couple or two walking their dogs. There was also a large dog park that extended from the edge of the park on 4th to a point about 300 meters back. I ran past that, got barked at a few times, and then...nothing. The park ended. I knew the greenway extended on the other side, so I ran through a tunnel under 4th and found a path. There were more fields and courts but other than that there wasn't a whole lot to see here. The walkway I was running on extended into an expanse with a gravel path that ran under a massive bridge that was host to I-77. I couldn't help thinking this scene would have made an awesome picture, but there was no one around with a camera.

There was no one around, period. I ran past the entrance to a neighborhood and towards a section of Morehead Street that I had never seen, then turned around and ran towards Bank of America Stadium.  As I darted through a field and around the outside of the stadium, I couldn't help wondering if I'd be able to make it to a few games this year. The Panthers were horrible last season, but there's something to be excited about now with the arrival of Cam Newton, and the powers that be had better get their act together so we can watch some football!

Now on south Mint Street, I decided I wanted to run this section of the marathon course, backwards, so I kept going. It didn't take long before the scenery became a little unfriendly. I thought about what I always tell people - Who's going to mess with a runner? - and wondered why I always say that. I'm not wearing much in the way of clothing, true, so it's obvious I don't have any money on me. And there's always the idea of simply, you know, running away if anyone came after me. However, if someone were to offer me a sampling of crack cocaine I would have no choice but to simply compose and myself and resist...

About five miles into this my legs finally started feeling warmed up and fresh - keep in mind, I ran a race yesterday - so I picked up the pace a little bit as I ran through South End. I turned on Morehead and parted ways with the marathon course, then headed towards Freedom Park. I was going to run through the park and come back downtown on the Little Sugar Creek greenway. Massive crowds encountered me as I entered the park. I had no idea what was going on but there were people lined all over the path and the hill, as someone was on the stage, singing - and so I had no choice (really...) but to run right in front in between the crowds and the stage. I was starting to feel pretty awful but something about the people and the music put a hop in my step and I clicked off my fastest miles before and after this section of the run.

I was really hurting now as I headed through downtown and back towards my car. I recalled the marathon training last fall, in which every long run progression went great until I reached the point I had yet to endure. Well, after 10-plus miles, I was at that point today. As badly as I felt I knew I needed to make a deposit into the Bank of Endurance and Stamina, and this was a good start.

Runs like this one are my favorite - where I can just take off and figure it out as I get there. Perhaps next time I'll avoid hopping over to the wrong side of the tracks.

Details 

No comments:

Post a Comment