Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Can't Stomach the Workouts.... But I Can Watch a 5k?

All in one session: warmup for 2.01 mi then right into 3 x 8 min with 2 min rest, then cooldown.
Running Buddy

The information above means that I lumped everything into one session this time instead of separating the warmup and cooldown from the workout. Well, the cooldown was separate, but we'll get to that later.

As the title of this post should indicate, I would go on to bonk a workout on account of stomach  problems for the second time this week. I took some gel on the car ride to McAlpine, which probably was part of it, and set off down the greenway for a warmup. As I approached the park I could see a large crowd setting up for an event. Oh great, I thought. What now? I have a way of accidentally running through large festivals, but my concern immediately turned to excitement when I noticed people were setting up for a 5k. Ah, yes! The "Run for Peace 5k" benefiting domestic violence prevention was this morning. Somehow I had forgotten about it, otherwise I likely would have signed up, and instead of cramping through a workout I would have been preparing for another race.

I took off in the direction of Harris Blvd. for my workout and let's just briefly note that it did not go well. I didn't allow myself to get too frustrated because I knew it was all in the stomach, but I did make a note to not let this happen again. Be it beer, soda, or poor nutrition the previous day, something would have to go - if not all of those things!

As I headed back to the park - and the race site - I saw Chad Crockford, and a couple minutes later noticed Paul Mainwaring stretching. Ok, whoa... This might be a race worth watching.  Paul is one of the fastest runners in Charlotte, regularly running in the low 16s or under for a 5k and beating pretty much everyone except for John Compton so far this year. He looked like he wouldn't mind being bothered so I introduced myself. We discussed training, race history, and today's race and then I told him I'd stick around to yell at him and Chad.

Uniquely, this race separated the men and women into two different heats, with the idea being that the opposite sexes would have a chance to cheer for and support one another (again, this race benefited domestic violence prevention). As the men's race started I jogged over to just past the mile marker. I watched Paul come flying past and then moved to the hill. A high school kid was bravely hanging on for dear life about 15 seconds behind Paul and 20 seconds, at this time, ahead of Chad, Michael Creason, and a few others. I jogged around a bit and yelled encouragement at everyone. Paul won easily in a time of 16:29 and Chad finished second, eventually reeling in the high school kid just before the two-mile mark.

I joined Paul, Chad, and two other guys I didn't know for a cooldown on the greenway. I'm beginning to realize that, as much as I love running alone, it isn't going to get me anywhere and I could do myself some good by trying to run in groups more often. Training with people who are faster than I am is going to do wonders for me. Don't ask me why it took so long for me to realize this, but hey. Paul casually said some things that really encouraged me, including the fact that I should be happy I'm already running around 19 after being away from training for so long. You can read his blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment