Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Quarter-Milers in New Scenery

I had some trouble with Running Buddy (we have to name our Garmins, so that's what I called mine) today so I'm not exactly sure how to post the results of my workout. First of all, I decided randomly that I wanted to run the Mallard Creek greenway and do the 400s/quarter-miles on the UNCC track. I ran 1.52 miles down the greenway and made it to campus before realizing that the track may be out of the question. The gate was open but there were a few team members still cooling down, and I saw three signs basically daring me to enter. The signs at the gate said things like, "outside access strictly prohibited," "UNCC athletic department only," and "anyone who uses this track will immediately be turned into a pillar of salt." I would have used it anyway if there hadn't been athletes on it.

I had heard something about a recreational track and some soccer fields nearby, so I sought them out. There was what looked like an athletic complex behind the main soccer fields, still under construction, and also a large hill above it that also looked as if whatever it would eventually be home to was still a work in progress. Looking back, I should have tried to run on the soccer field.

Instead my path found me up at an intramural field, with part of the greenway looping around it. I decided this half-umowed grass/half-asphalt surface would be my "track." I programmed the Garmin - or at least I thought I did - and took off. I glanced down at it when I realized it wasn't beeping to alert me my first quarter-mile was almost done, and then realized I had not saved the workout program. So I ran one stray quarter and then got the watch programmed to do 11 more - with 60-second rest in between.

I basically wanted these to be faster than 6:00 mile pace, and for the most part I pulled that off. There were a few in there that there were really slow, and I found myself questioning my effort as I was coasting in to stop before Running Buddy told me to. Nonetheless, this was a great workout for 5k training and I got it done. I'm still whipping the body into speed shape.

These were my splits for the quarters (again, a quarter-mile is slightly longer than 400 meters, and I'd like to remind everyone that this wasn't the easiest surface): 79, 80, 85, 86, 89, 91, 91, 86, 89, 94, 81.

Details

No comments:

Post a Comment