Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Improvement

Warmup: 1.92 mi in 14:39/7:37 ppm
Workout: 4xMile with 2-min rest between sets. 6:09, 6:06, 6:00, 5:59.
Cooldown: 2.05 mi in 18:42/9:06 ppm
Goal: improve times from the first mile repeats workout and learn how to push through pain better.

Great success! I ran these by myself at McAlpine and blew away my splits from this same workout with Brinkley at McMullen about a month ago. The conditions today were ideal, so that helped. I ran into Mike Mitchell and then John Compton on the greenway warming up, and I think seeing each of them got me fired up. I reset the watch at the park and programmed it for four one-mile sets with two minute rest in between. I ran the first one from the starting line of the 5k course to Margaret Wallace in 6:09, and it was characterized by surges. I started off hard, then slowed down, then kept an eye on things and just cruised home. I crossed MW and headed into the thick woods towards Harris Boulevard. I was heading for home and suddenly realized I was running out of trail. It was either make a sharp turn up some steps and onto the sidewalk or continue running through tall - and possibly snake-infested - weeds. I chose the weeds and came through in 6:06.

Starting in the weeds, I ran my next one back down the asphalt greenway towards Margaret Wallace and was able to keep the pace brisk. I hit 6-flat and then prepared to run my last mile. I dodged a woman and her kids on the greenway and tried to throw the hammer down with just under half a mile to go. Nothing... Well, I still can't find that speed... Wait. I looked at the watch, saw I had a chance to break 6, and then went for it. There it is...the speed, the drive, the want-to.  I finished in just under 6 minutes, and then bent down to grab my shorts in an effort to find air.

I have improved a good bit, and even ran negative splits - I can't ask for more than that right now. Let's just hope it's there on Saturday.

Details

No comments:

Post a Comment