Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Race Group Workout

Distance: 11.6 mi.
Time: 1:19:11.

Warmup: 3.45 mi. @ 7:20 ppm.
Workout: 5k @ 8k pace w/ 3:30-jog recovery + 3.5 mi. @ half-marathon pace.
Cooldown: 1.05 mi. @ 8:55 ppm.

I put my second workout of the week on hold this past Thursday when Brinkley asked me to pace him during the race. He had signed up to run Charlotte's 10-Miler. I was excited to see how this event would transpire, as it's a rare distance and a first-time event. Suffice it to say that Start to Finish did a fantastic job.

Now, back to the part where I'm supposed to pace David: this would be a little tricky considering that he's a bit faster than me; how are you supposed to pace someone that's faster than you? I figured I would just pick a spot and see if he had a pack to run with, and if not, just hang on at a pretty hard effort for as long as I felt up to it. He wouldn't need my help but I figured it could be fun.

This course starts at the Earth Fare at Johnston Rd/485, winds down Johnston to 51, then traverses the extent of the McMullen Greenway. A race down the greenway - how awesome! I parked at the Johnston Rd entrance to the greenway, said hi to Kati and Ben, then went ahead and got in gear. It was pretty cold. I wouldn't have the luxury of coming back to the car to change shoes so I went ahead and slapped on the racers.

I did a fast warmup, including one mile at about 6:45 pace, to get the legs ready for the uptempo pace. When I saw flashing lights approaching near the one-mile mark of the greenway, I stepped off to the side and watched the runners come through. I spotted Aaron Linz and Eric Bilbrey, along with a few others, before seeing Dave approach. He had a small pack just ahead of him and no one close behind. I took off and then eased in.

18:54.6 for 3.11 miles. 6:04, 6:03, 6:08, 0:38.

I immediately decided I wouldn't be hanging around with Brinkley for long. The pace was well ahead of what I needed to be doing in a workout, especially after having come down with a mild virus. Besides, after the first mile I was more in the way than anything else. Dave formed a pack with Walt Guyer and a few other dudes as I tucked in behind and eventually slowed down. I came through 5k in about 18:50 after we passed Kati and Ben, and I was done.

0.43 mi. jog @ 8:13 ppm.

I took about three minutes and change to jog and rest and waited to see who else would come through. I decided to get a few miles at 6:20 pace or so. When I saw Michelle and Dalena running together, I called out that I would join them momentarily. They seemed approving of this idea, so I stretched for a bit and took off down the greenway again.

22:33.7 for 3.56 mi. 6:12.9, 6:15.8, 6:34.7, 3:30.2.

We hopped off at Trader Joe's and began the toughest section of the course - the hilly finish. It was windy and at first I was trying to stay out of the way but then I realized I could make myself useful by pulling in front of the girls and blocking the wind. Dalena thanked me as I apologized for not thinking of that sooner! We turned into some neighborhoods and things got pretty rough, as reflected in the splits above. I was amused at the sights of Bert and Ernie, also known as Kahn and Thomas. At one uphill I turned and tried to shout encouragement; the ladies were fighting hard.

Things got easier after that as I pulled off about half a mile from the finish. Dalena and Michelle went on to grab the first and second spots on the women's side.

As for me, I got in an excellent day's work. This was similar to what I had done the previous Tuesday: make the body tired, then try to run half marathon pace (or thereabouts) for a few miles.


No comments:

Post a Comment