Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Half-Mile Repeats

Warmup: 2.0 mi in 16:08/8:04 pace
Workout: 6xhalf-mile with 2 minute rest in between to jog/walk.
Goal: adjusted for the heat and humidity, stay near 6:00 or 6:05 mile pace, so about 3:00 for each half-mile.
Actual: splits of 3:06, 3:00, 3:13 on the part of the 5k course with the hill, a painful 3:22, 3:02, 3:09.
Cooldown: 1.6 mi in 16:21/10:14 pace (I walked a good bit)

For today's workout, I decided to play with the Garmin a little bit to take advantage of what it can really do. There's a "workout" feature and I wanted to use it. I told the device I wanted to do a warmup and cooldown, then 6 half-mile repeats with 2 minute rest. When I pressed start, the screen read "Run Until Lap Key," meaning I could end my warmup and start the workout whenever I wanted by hitting the Lap button.

I made it from Sardis to the starting line of the 5k course (2 miles) and hit the Lap key, and took off. I was determined to run what felt somewhat leisurely so as to avoid starting off too quickly, something that's been a problem for me ever since I un-retired. I came through in 3:06 for the first half, which I was pleased with because I felt it set me up to run negative splits. The watch then began counting two minute rest for me, and near the end of that two minutes, it would beep to alert me that it was once again go-time.  I ran a solid 3-flat for the second half-mile as I crossed the mile marker of the course and walk-jogged for two minutes. I then realized I was going to have to run up the hill on the next interval. I had enough time to build up speed beforehand, and did so to ensure the interval wouldn't be too slow. That was probably my best one of the day, 3:13 with the hill. That's only 6:26 mile pace, but I'm getting there, and I'm learning to adjust expectations with the weather being nasty these days.

It was the next interval where I fell apart, finishing in 3:22. I suppose I'm still getting back into shape and the mind is playing tricks on me on those middle intervals, just as it did last week. I felt the effort was there, but my focus could use some tweaking. I should have gotten up early this morning to do this thing, and then I wouldn't have to worry about the heat. I got my rear in gear for the fifth interval, running 3:02, which would turn out to be my fastest one of the day. This took place on the back loop of the course and around the lake. I did one more in 3:09 and then began to worry that I wasn't finished because my watch said I still had one more. What?! I programmed it for six, right?! It was counting down my rest and I tried to prepare myself for one more interval on the greenway. 5..4..3..2..1... "Run Until Lap Key." OhthankGod. I'm done. 

I crawled back to the Sardis lot and called it a day, not thrilled but reasonably pleased with my performance.

Details

No comments:

Post a Comment