Pages

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Garmin Confusion

After looking at the details of today's long run, I was a little confused as to what my Garmin was showing me. "Avg pace" was listed at 7:39 and "Avg moving pace" was 7:29. That's a big difference to me on a 9-mile run. (It also says my fastest pace was 3:01 per mile at a given point - probably sprinting across the street to avoid getting hit by cars.) I decided to look this up once and for all. A googling led to the following explanation on a Garmin forum:

Garmin Connect provides three Time measurements on the Details page:

Time


Time is the recording time reported by the device. For Fitness devices, this should equal the Time value reported on the device. For other devices, this should equal the amount of time elapsed from the actual Start and Finish time of an activity.


Avg Speed/Pace is based off the Time value.


Moving Time


Garmin Connect calculates Moving Time by removing the amount of time when the user is stopped. This is helpful for customers who upload activities with a Garmin device that either don't have AutoPause or have AutoPause turned off. For those who have AutoPause turned on or hit the Stop and Start button in the middle of an activity, the Moving Time should be very close or equal to Time.


Avg Moving Speed/Pace is based off the Moving Time value.


Elapsed Time


Garmin Connect calculates the Elapsed Time by the amount of time elapsed from the actual Start and Finish time of an activity. This is helpful for customers with a Garmin device that have AutoPause turned on or hit the Stop and Start button in the middle of an activity. For those who don't have AutoPause or have that feature turned off on their device, Elapsed time should be very close or equal to Time.   
- from user "ONDAEYES"


Ok, that all makes perfect sense to me, really. But it doesn't explain why my "time" and "moving time" are different. I have a "fitness device" and I keep "AutoPause" turned on; according to this, then, my "time" and "moving time" should be very close or exact. This does not offer an explanation for when they aren't exact or even remotely close. Usually, there isn't a big difference, but on today's long run the difference was a minute and a half.


The only thing I can think of is this is a result of the satellite signal getting lost. You might think that could occur in very heavy rain, right? Well, the rain miles were two of my fastest. Maybe I was really running about 6:40 pace instead of 7:25 for those two? I did say that it felt a lot faster than 720s - so maybe it was? If that's the case then it would explain the difference.


At any rate, it's not life-and-death but if anyone has an explanation for this, I'm all ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment