Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Long Run ??

Well, I figured it was time to try a long run. Of course, "long" at this point means 7-10, not 16-22. Which reminds me, I guess I should say what I'm training for here. There aren't many good marathons in the summer, and San Diego is too soon. If I run a marathon this year it will be a late fall race. I want to start road-racing again: 5Ks, 10Ks, and the like. There are TONS of races at those distances throughout the spring, summer, and fall. I'd like to be able to toe the line at the Skyline 5K at the end of the month. The 5K training will entail speed work, and as a result will be a lot more intense than marathon training, but the mileage won't be anywhere near as high.

I wanted to run 7 miles today, and I set off for the lovely trails of McAlpine to complete this task. I was surprised to see that the mile markers on the greenway were pretty much dead-even with what my Garmin was measuring. I seem to recall Dave's watch would always lose a satellite signal at times in the woods, or simply measure the markers longer. Someone remind me to tell Dave that my watch is better than his. Oh nevermind, I'm sure I'll remember.

I averaged 7:25 a mile today but once again my fastest mile was my first one (7:08). I need to work on that. Please click on the link below to view the stats and look at the map. You may have to hit "refresh" for the map to come up. If you click on "bird's-eye view" you'll get a great idea of what McAlpine looks like. Pan over past Monroe Road and check out the swamp and the lake. Pretty sweet, huh? You can't really tell, but if you see where the red line zig-zags right before the swamp - that's the part of the course with the steep hill.

Stats and Map

3 comments:

  1. McAlpine Saturday morning, 12 miles... lemme know!

    405 > 305

    ReplyDelete
  2. 12??!?! Dang son, you think I'm fast like you or something?? I can run part of it and yes I bow to the glory of your watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just run some of it with me then. I'm just not looking to do it solo. Egger's can't run Saturday and I can't run Sunday.

    ReplyDelete