Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Speed Loop Miles

Warmup - 1.35 mi in 00:11:39 - 8:39 ppm.
Workout - 4 x Mile with 2:30 rest. Splits: 6:18 (2:30), 6:17 (2:30), 6:17 (2:30), 6:17 (2:30).
Cooldown - 2.03 mi in 00:18:43 - 9:12 ppm.

This was one of the best workouts I've had in awhile. I failed to adjust for the heat and humidity, but it did not seem to matter. Sometimes, the legs just feel good.

I was supposed to do what my plan titled "cruise pace," defined as better than tempo pace but not quite 5k pace. My target was 6:19 per mile, so as you see above I was just ahead of that and remarkably consistent.

I started from the Dowd and warmed up to the Speed Loop. I tried to start off a tad quick on purpose in order to bank the time and...cruise to the finish. After my first interval I stopped at Rebecca Thomason's house to get some water from her porch. The next two went fine; it certainly wasn't easy but I didn't feel like I was pushing nearly as hard as I could. By the time I got to the fourth and final repeat, however, I was a little winded. I started off slower and then realized I was going to have to start hauling ass to hit my target time. I did that, despite having to run the uphill portion of the loop (Worthington Avenue) near the finish. Again, my splits were remarkably consistent. I gathered my bearings for a bit, stopping once again at Rebecca's porch, this time to mix up some cranberry juice. There is a special place in heaven reserved for that woman.

I trotted back to the Dowd and chatted some with A.J., who had just finished his own run. He gave me some pointers about strategy and pace and what he thought I could accomplish at Thunder Road, which I appreciated, but for now I just want to put in the work and stay healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment