Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Hilly Long Run

10.84 mi in 01:26:32 - 7:59 ppm

The training plan called for a long run "with hills" at the end of week one. I like how I can ease into these long runs, especially given that I'm already in shape, as opposed to using marathon training to essentially achieve fitness, as I did last year. The more I get into training the more I understand many of the reasons that led to last year's injury. I am very confident that I can avoid any kind of setbacks this time around.

Incorporating hills into any kind of a run is a remarkably easy task in Charlotte, as long as one avoids the creek greenways. I headed over to the Dowd for this one and I was a bit worried when I saw Paul post on Facebook that he had called it a run after only 8 miles on account of the humidity. I decided to set off at "old man pace" and just do my best to get comfortable. I passed Meghan Fillnow and Emily Hansen on East Boulevard in the early section of this run as I ran through Freedom Park and part of the Summer Breeze course.

I left and headed towards Park Road shopping center, with the intent of running the older section of the Little Sugar Creek greenway. Here I ran into Anne Marie unexpectedly. We exchanged pleasantries and I witnessed a look of concern wash over her face as I asked if I could join her for a few miles. She made me promise not to kill her and we wound back through the neighborhoods and on to the park. After stopping to get water, we parted ways, and I made a point to charge up the East Boulevard hill. That effort pretty much sapped me, and luckily the run was almost done. I made it down Kenilworth and over to Morehead for one final hill.

With just under half a mile to go, I happened to switch Running Buddy over to "total average pace" to see that I was running 7:59 for the duration of the run. Uh-oh...I threw it in another gear and booked it up the street to the Y to ensure that my pace stayed under 8 per mile. Eh, not a big deal, but it's nice to find new ways to stay motivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment