Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Speed Loop Group

Warmup: 1.38 mi in 00:12:35 - 9:05 ppm
Workout - 15 x 1 minute hard; 1 minute rest after each rep. Total: 3.92 mi in 00:30:00 - 7:39 ppm
Cooldown - 4.12 mi in 00:36:18 - 8:49 ppm

This is the first week of my marathon training plan, and I was supposed to do mile repeats at "cruise" pace (a tad slower than 5k pace, around 6:20 or so per mile). I was invited to join Jamaar, Thomas Eggar, Michelle Hazelton, and Emily Barrett for a 15x1-minute workout at the Dilworth Speed Loop (where Dilworth East/West hit East Blvd.; reference the maps). When Anne Marie told me she was meeting them at the Dowd to do 300-meter repeats with her friend Siobhan, I decided to join in. I told her and Jamaar I would be there either way and if my back was feeling better I would join the workout.

I woke up around 5:30 a.m. and my back felt fine. I'm due for a workout as I haven't done one in three weeks, and I figured Michelle would be a good training partner as she has been finishing just ahead of me in most races we've done together (as the fastest female). I'm not sure what Thomas can run for a 5k, but he is fast, and Jamaar has been putting in some serious work lately in an effort to train for an ultra (longer than a marathon) race.

Needless to say, I was disappointed when I got to the Dowd and Thomas and Michelle were nowhere in sight. Jamaar, Anne Marie, Siobhan and myself were joined by a guy named Jeremy that I met at the CRC fun run and we started off on a warmup to the loop. It turns out Thomas and Michelle had decided to meet us there and after some attempts to synchronize Garmins, we were off. Jamaar took it out hard in the first rep as I attempted to cruise behind Michelle and came through in 5:02 pace (think 30 seconds for the last 0.1 of a 5k - that's fast). We all settled down a bit after that, but it wasn't long before nature called for me and I found a porta-jon. The rest of the group completed three reps while I was taking care of business, and then I re-upped.

It was neat to be able to see Anne Marie and Siobhan doing a different workout on the same loop as we were all able to cheer for one another. We would pass them, then slow down for our rest and they would pass us back, etc. With me still three reps behind, the rest of the group got down to the end as Thomas and I tried to encourage Jamaar, who wanted to run his fastest splits at the end. I did one solo while they recovered, but then Thomas was nice enough to jump in for two extra as I finished out my workout.

I wanted to do a longer cooldown so Jamaar and I ran with them to Michelle's house before heading back to the Dowd. My back felt as good as new again, luckily, and I was happy with the workout. The legs felt fresh and I was able to get some good turnover, especially at the end and considering the short recovery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment