Pages

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Firecracker Course Preview

3.90 mi in 00:30:38 - 7:51 ppm

I am running the Charlotte Firecracker 5k tomorrow, July 3rd, at 7 p.m. in the Windy Rush neighborhood of south Charlotte (right near the intersection where Rea hits Colony). Today I sauntered over there to preview the course. I wasn't exactly sure where to start and I had to get back down the street to my car, so nevermind the mileage above. If this course isn't accurate, it's very close.

We start off on a downhill, which means I can probably start off way too fast again and get away with it (NO, it means you can start off slow and be in even better position, dammit!) - I'll let the voices in my head figure it out tomorrow. The course is a net uphill but it has a chance to be fast. It will certainly be a good spectator course, as there are several instances where the runners pass by more than once.

I am most curious to see what kind of competition shows up for this one. Given this is the weekend of the 4th, I expect a good number of people will be in party mode, or out of town. Also, there are some familiar names in the results of yesterday's HFFA Firecracker 5k in Huntersville. I do know that CRC is expected to have an aid station set up, and since there's a pool party afterward, the post-race festivities are guaranteed to be...festive.

As for me, I obviously want to run hard again but it's getting tough to know what to expect from my body week to week. This is a 7pm race, and the forecast is for either blazing hot temperatures or severe thunderstorms. We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment