Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Confidence Boosting

This is the first time in the training cycle that I've really felt worn out. I don't think I've been eating enough, as crazy as that sounds. I'm going to go with a more liberal approach and just start destroying eggs, bacon or ham, waffles, pancakes, fruit, and pretty much anything else I can find for breakfast after my runs.

I ran 7 miles at glorious McAlpine Thursday morning and felt much better. I averaged about 7:30 pace, aided by running the last mile in 6:50. I took Friday off and prepared to do my long run Saturday, but since this is a cutback week I planned to do "only" 14 miles.

For the 14, I started at the Sardis lot and ran two miles in the Old Bell hills before setting off on the greenway towards Harris Blvd. I repeated an old high school tradition by continuing off the greenway, up Harris and down Idlewild Road for a bit so I could hit the distance without backtracking too much. There's a long wooden fence that runs up Harris right by the sidewalk, and just as it did many years ago, an angry beast came charging towards it to growl at me. I really wanted to know if it was the same dog from way back when.

I did the 5k course and headed back to Sardis for the finish. I'm pleased to report that I ran just under 7:30 pace without ever really picking it up. I wouldn't say I felt fantastic but I felt pretty strong, which is a nice turn from recent events. I ended up taking Sunday off and because of work I had to miss Monday as well, but I got in over 40 miles for my cutback week.

**One of my readers asked if I could add a time stamp in order to make it easier to follow the happenings described here. I'll work on that and try to clean up a few other things. I've been extra busy lately so I'm updating this on the run a lot, and there's only so much I can do with my BlackBerry. I appreciate the feedback and would love to hear more. Thanks for reading and stay tuned.

***And it's now done - I changed the layout so hopefully it's a little easier to read now.

2 comments:

  1. I'd try using some Protein from GNC and take a shake after a run. Stuff works great for recovery...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I do that - usually take a protein shake and some berries or a bagel. I think my post-run methods are fine; it's the actual daily meals that need improvement. It's an adjustment after being away from the game awhile my man.

    ReplyDelete