Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Opening the week at McMullen

I don't really know why but I never enjoy running on the McMullen Greenway.  It's nice for a change of scenery but can be monotonous as it seems to look exactly the same the entire route.  Also, it's paved; a trail in the middle of the woods should be gravel, which would be much easier on everyone's joints.  Nevertheless, I headed out there this morning to do an easy 7 miles.

My left leg has had some soreness in it the last few days but felt fine on the run.  I ran roughly 7:30 pace or better and didn't feel like it took any effort.  As I clipped along I thought about what I wanted to do for the rest of the week.  Tomorrow I'm going to give last week's failed tempo run another shot at McAlpine - the exact same workout, only with better planning.  It also won't be 85 degrees and humid tomorrow; the cooler weather has been good to me so I'm looking forward to that.  I had thought of running the Dowd 5k this Saturday and watching Eggers and Mike Mitchell run the half marathon, but the races are at the same time, so I think I'm just going to watch the half - armed with a camera.  I have a long run of 17-18 on the docket for this weekend, too.  Last but not least I have several items on the social calendar to which I'm looking forward and things at work have been going smoothly, too.

I picked up the pace just a bit the last two miles and averaged a 7:21 mile for the distance.

Back at the parking lot, I saw Jordan Kinley and introduced myself as a reader of his blog.  Jordan is essentially the star of the local running scene in Charlotte these days, and his blog is a very good read - strictly running, although his trade has taken him all over the world.  Like most runners, Jordan is very easy going and friendly.  Like me, he obviously benefits from having a job that allows him to take off to the park at 11:00 a.m. on weekdays.  Unlike me, he is very, very fast.

Til' next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment