Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Sports-related thoughts in my head these days....

As previously discussed, I want this blog to be about all sports, and not just an extended running log.  However I have noticed that for some reason a lot of people seem to be reading it, so I may add in shorter posts of my easy runs, as well - as opposed to only blogging about long runs, workouts, and races.  I also wanted to write a review of what's going on with the Panthers - why they suck, why John Fox will be gone after this year, and what the future may hold - but it's going to take some time because I don't want it to be a brief note that doesn't really say anything.

With that being said, I do have a few sports-related thoughts in my head that I'd be glad to pass along...
  • Boy, was I wrong about the Yankees wearing out the Texas Rangers.  It could not have been more the other-way-around.  I think I heard that Texas hit over .300 for the Series.  I knew the Yankees were having problems with their pitching, but I must admit that I didn't think the Rangers were really this good.  But still, the Rays should be in the World Series..
  • This post may be ill-timed because the Giants wore him out last night, but I'm really starting to like Cliff Lee.  I read a feature article about him in the USA Today that mentioned how he and his wife were once afraid they could lose their child to leukemia, but the boy is now healthy.  I suppose an experience like that will foster the "eerie calm" for which Lee is so fondly known. 
  • As for the Carolina Panthers, the airwaves on WFNZ were buzzing this morning with news that linebackers Jon Beason and Thomas Davis have declared that the team feels they can turn things around and really make a run this season.  Chris McClain and Jim Celania asked for listeners to call in and explain how that could possibly happen.  I didn't call in but here's my two cents:  (1) Right tackle Jeff Otah needs to come back 100% healthy.  Everyone says, "it's not about one man," and it isn't, but right now the offensive line is one of the Panthers' biggest weaknesses, and with Otah back, it can become a strength.  The man is a beast on the right side and his presence could open up the running game, which in turn will (2) further open up the passing game.  David Gettis had a breakout game last week and Brandon LaFell is playing better, too.  If those guys keep it up then we can make opposing teams pay for focusing too much attention on Steve Smith, who (3) needs to be able to continue returning punts because we have to do whatever we can to get him the ball.  (4) Matt Moore needs to play as well as he did at the end of '09 and in last week's game against the 49ers, and (5) it wouldn't hurt if they could get Armanti Edwards more involved, if only to confuse the other team a few times a game.  That may sound like a lot of things, but they are all possible.  The team always plays well later in the season under Fox, and the defense has been solid. 
  • When the Pittsburgh Steelers win another Super Bowl this year, they will have a whopping seven in franchise history, two more than the 49ers and Cowboys, who are tied for second.  More importantly, Ben Roethlisberger will have more Super Bowl rings (three) than rape accusations (two).  That can only be a good thing.
  • 
    Hide ya wife, hide ya kids...and hide your head coaches too because he rapin' everybody up in here.
    
  • Once Game 1 of the Series became one-sided I was able to switch over to the Bulls-Thunder game, the season opener for each team.  Wow, the Thunder are fun to watch!  Others may disagree but I love the chemistry these guys have; it's clear they all get along and the way they always know how to find a teammate on the court is just a treat for the eyes....and then there's Kevin Durant.  'Nuff said.
  • I haven't had a chance to watch the Miami Heat yet, but you'll likely know when I do.
That's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment