Pages

Friday, November 19, 2010

Injury Concern on an Easy Day

I consider myself a pretty experienced distance runner, but I haven't really had any experience with injuries in my career.  Obviously, that's a good thing, and I think I can credit my constant stretching as a big reason for that.  I was worried about my left leg before today's run and sought out a second opinion.  Brandon Hillis told me if the pain was concentrated in one area then it could be a stress fracture, which is the last thing I want.  If the pain felt as if it went all the way down my lower leg then it could just be shin splints but I honestly couldn't tell where exactly the pain was.  I knew that bending my foot back hard and holding it for at least forty seconds always made me feel a lot better, so it seems to just be some stiffness in the shin and ankle area.  The fact that it always hurts more after a couple days off adds weight to that theory.

I told Brandon I had an easy run on the schedule and I would either turn around or keep going based on how things felt early in the run.  I am pleased to report that my left leg bothered me for the first 100 meters or so but that's the only time it really hurt, and I didn't notice it all after about 25 minutes.  I also ran seven miles in 7:16 pace even though I felt like I was running really easy. 

So, there we have it.  We're chalking the left leg situation up to stiffness and a strained muscle until further notice, and it should be fine as long as I keep stretching it a bit.  Part of the reason I was so concerned is that things have been going well and I'm so close*.... As previously stated I am also in the meat grinder for that moment and am dealing with other aches and pains as well; if I can just run through them for another ten days I'll be able to rest and get fresh in time for the race.**

*So close to what?
**What race?

-Details coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment