Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Old Bell Finale

I set out today to do one last hill workout at Old Bell.  This workout is essentially a 7-mile tempo run with rolling hills.  The loop is 1.4 miles and I do it five times without rest.  I start at the Sardis/Old Bell gravel lot and the road stays relatively flat for about half a mile before the roller coaster starts.  There is a short but nearly straight-up hill that crests after about 75 meters, and then a very steep downhill that essentially slings the runner into the longest and steepest of the three hills, #2.  That is followed by a short but steep downhill and another rough uphill.  After that, the worst is over, as things level out a good bit; there is a short uphill and some flat terrain before a short downhill that puts you back at Sardis Road for the quick turn back to Old Bell and the "start/finish" line.

This is Old Bell hill #2, and believe me, this photo doesn't do it justice.  It was a tough day at the office, folks.
Again, I had previously calculated that coming through the start/finish in 10:09 for this loop would equal 7:15 mile pace.  I wanted to run a bit fast on the first one in order to make myself tired and see what I could do having lost a bit of strength.  I ran quick but comfortably on the first loop, coming through in 9:42.  The hills were already getting harder by the second loop, which took place in 9:58.  Worried about a mental lapse, I focused a bit more on the third loop, coming through in 9:48.  I wasn't as completely focused on the task at hand as I usually am and yet I was still running well.  I wasn't trying to kill it today but I wanted some practice working hard up steep hills and I think I got the job done.  I increased the pace and completed the fourth loop in 9:37; after struggling up the hills for the last time I shifted into high gear on the final loop, coming through in 9:21 for a total time of 48:26/6:56 per mile.  I destroyed the pace I had set for this workout the last time I did it and I didn't even feel that taxed.

As Eggers would say, "testament."  I talked to the man after my workout and he told me that his job had taken him to L.A. for the week and to the Lakers game at Staples Center the night before.  I can't imagine anyone who could be better at shmoozing with clients over a basketball game in Los Angeles.... Yeah, I mean the Heat will be good, but I don't know if they'll be able to knock off the Celtics or the Lakers in the playoffs, and - hey, is that Leonardo DiCaprio?  I mean, maybe not, but it kinda looks like him, ya know? - oh well, no big deal, yeah anyway, these are pretty good seats...

No comments:

Post a Comment