Pages

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Longest Run of the Cycle

And so it has come to this...I ran 20 miles last weekend, did a brutal 3x5k workout on Wednesday, and now I had to do a 22-mile long run.  I wasn't kidding when I said things were starting to get tough.  At least I know my head is in the right place; I went out for dinner and then to the Bobcats game yet still got to bed early.  I had plans for lunch at Brio Sunday so I would have to be out the door early.

I communicate in movie quotes and the phrase "22 miles" brought to mind the scene from Tommy Boy where David Spade argues with the clerk over directions to a nearby town.

"How far is it to Davenport?"
"22 miles."
"That's funny because I don't see it on this map...."
"Well, get yourself a new map!"

At 42 degrees this wouldn't quite be my coldest run but in addition to the longest this was also the earliest,  as I was out the door before 6:30, armed with three gel packets.  I mapped a 16-mile loop from my apartment that would go right down Sardis, where I would add another 6 miles on the greenway.  Wearing a long-sleeved dry-fit shirt and some longer running shorts - but no hat or gloves - I wasn't warm but felt comfortable as I briefly headed towards town and ran through Eastover before hopping onto Providence Road.  I had a long, mostly uphill stretch of  pavement ahead of me.  I became annoyed at how many times I had to cross the street because I ran out of sidewalk, but I did enjoy being able to run down the middle of the road at some sections.  This peaceful run reminded me why I loved getting out there so early.

One gel packet and nearly 8 miles later, I finally turned off Providence Road.  I had run from Myers Park all the way to south Charlotte, all on the same road, and I wasn't even halfway through my run.  At this point I was repeating the early part of my run with David the week before and I began to take inventory of all the aches and pains.  My left shin and ankle were noticeable but weren't really in pain.  My back was stiff and every pounding of my right foot brought some sharp pain from what felt like the toe next to the big guy.  I knew I didn't have any blisters so I wasn't sure what this latest ailment was.  When I got to the Sardis lot I recognized Billy Shue waiting to run with a group of other CRC runners, and we exchanged greetings.  He called out, "Good luck, Jason! - 22 miler today, right?"  Yup, I guess he saw my Facebook post.

"...You say it's 22 miles to Davenport, and you seem like a pretty smart guy but..."
"I'm picking up the sarcasm."
"Good, because I'm laying it on pretty thick."

Now on the greenway, I dropped the pace down to better than 7:20 per mile and kept it there for the six miles I was out on the dirt.  I stopped for the first time after 18 miles to stretch my legs just for a bit, and since I didn't want to hurt myself, I slowed down some.  By this time I had taken all three gels and while the legs were very sore, my energy level was in a good place.  I stopped for the second and final time at Providence Day to drink some water and head home.

"This is a map of Illinois - which we're in.  Davenport...is in Iowa...22 miiiiiiiiiles away.  You're in the wrong state.  Get yourself a new map."
"Oh.  Well that wasn't so hard, was it?"

About three miles from home, I noticed my right foot felt a bit wet.  I looked down and, surely enough, the top of my shoe was stained red.  I didn't feel any pain but I suppose the sight of that much blood is always a slight cause for concern.  I pressed on but I couldn't have kicked to the finish if I tried.  After 2 hours, 49 minutes, and 17 seconds on the road and trails, I was done.  I averaged 7:42 per mile, which seemed slow to me, and there's a chance I measured the route a bit short.  My training log site has been acting wonky lately but it's hard to complain about such a good resource that costs nothing.

I have now made quite a few deposits into the Bank of Endurance and Stamina.  I have done a 12, three 14s, a 16, an 18, a 19, two 20s, and a 22-mile long run, with the 19 being the fast one.  I also completed today's run on the heels of my hardest workout and while being in more pain than I have at any point in the cycle - easily.  Again, I'm just trying to get through the meat grinder and then I can taper!  I'm off to Savannah for Thanksgiving so I'll be doing my last hard workout in unfamiliar territory!

Oh, and it turns out I had a thin laceration on my toe - no idea how that happened but oh well.

I'll spare you all a picture of the foot itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment