Pages

Saturday, December 3, 2011

ACC 5K Pacing!

Warmup: 1.4 mi in 12:59.2 - 9:17 ppm.
Race: 3.21 mi in 21:43.49 - 6:47 ppm.
Cooldown: 0.8 mi in 7:36.04 - 9:10 ppm.

Earlier in the week, I agreed to help pace Adrienne Anetrini in the ACC Championship 5k. I was not going to register; instead, I would just start the race with her, try to pace her to a PR, and then drop off at the 3-mile mark. This was a small race so I didn't feel ill about being a bandit.

Adrienne, Devitt Rogers, Jeremy Gray, and I warmed up from the Dowd toward the race site. JLG and Devitt were also "bandits." I would never want to run a 5k with less than a 2-mile warmup, but Adrienne was ok with it, so we headed to the line. A guy and his girlfriend nudged past us to get in front of us in the chute, and after the start I was practically tripping over them. I was pissed. How are you going to push people aside in the corral and then start off that slowly? Get your ass to the back of the line next time! Had it been me that was racing I would have a few choice words for this dude, but instead I just went around them and sidled up next to Adrienne.

I was trying to rein in what appeared to be a fast pace, but then at the 1-mile mark I realized my watch was measuring the distance a good bit shorter than the race markers. I then remembered this was a RFYL event. Sigh.... We lost Jeremy somewhere around that time, and Devitt and I exchanged Thunder Road war stories. This race went right the Wilmore section, just before things had gotten dicey for me back on November 12.

We were running positive splits, but AA hung on and finished strong. By my calculations, she easily ran a PR, but again, the course was long (by more than a tenth of a mile, on my watch). No worries, though - it's December and we're all a ways away from doing anything important in regards to this particular distance. Fun was had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment