Pages

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Reedy River Spectating

Distance: 5.17 mi.
Time: 44:10.5.
Pace: 8:33.

As previously discussed, I headed down to Greenville, South Carolina to watch AA #1 pace AA #2 in the Reedy River 10k. The added bonus to this adventure is that this race is heavily competitive, featuring an elite field of mostly post-collegiate runners who have aspirations of successful pro careers. The ZAP Elite team was well-represented. If you are bored, I suggest you do a Google search on the ZAP program and read some of the articles that pop up. It's an interesting concept, and if more of these programs sprout in the United States then this country might one day stand a chance against the Africans in international competition. Yet I digress...

The real reason I was here was to make an attempt to stop being such a selfish runner and actually be a supportive boyfriend. After we "landed" in downtown Greenville, Adrienne and I literally ran into Angela minutes before she was due to the line. We were able to make some intros and get in a few miles warmup before I bid the girls adieu and good luck.

Sisterly love before the race start.
For those who have never been to Greenville, please be assured that it is quite pretty. It sits at the foothills of the mountains and features a modern, well-planned downtown area that would make any Geography major quite pleased. Window shopping and good restaurants abound. There are parking spaces on the street-side and large sidewalks. Best of all, there is a beautiful park complete with waterfalls, bridges, flowers, and sidewalks right through the center of town.

After the start, I jogged around for a bit before finding a nice spot in the park. I had no idea what mile this was in the race, but based on the amount of time elapsed I would say it was near the halfway point. Really, I have no idea, though.

I took several pictures here but it was very overcast, and since I forgot my camera, I had to use my phone. It takes pretty good pictures but I'm a terrible photographer and the weather wasn't helping.

The 5k (right) and 10k (left) finished at the same time.



Sprinting towards the finish.

Being a pack rat and an errand boy allowed me to get in more miles on the day than I expected to, which made me happy. After "Greenville's Best Breakfast" at MaryBeth's, we took Angela back to Bob Jones U and headed back to Charlotte.

No comments:

Post a Comment