Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

Karhu Test Run

Distance: 2.14 mi.
Time: 15:25.9.
Pace: 7:13.

Yesterday, I finally found my size and a reasonable price for a pair of shoes I've been lusting after since last June: the bright green Karhu Fast Ride. This forward-moving, stylish, lightweight trainer will be my introduction to the Karhu family. While Nikes have never really let me down, I have always felt there was something better out there for me. The true verdict will be read when these bad boys kick the bucket and the odometer is read, but I have high hopes based on the reviews. I like the fact that Karhu has been around awhile (since 1916) and hails from a nation (Finland) with a long tradition of distance running success (Paavo Nurmi, Lasse Viren, et al.).

I enjoyed the test run today. The shoes felt odd at first but quickly grew comfortable. They have a fulcrum built into the midsole that encourages - almost forces, really - a midfoot or toe strike. I think this could be a tough adjustment for someone seeking a stride change; I believe one should work to improve mechanics instead of relying on a shoe. I have been doing exactly that for awhile now, so these feel pretty natural.

My first pair of Karhus. Is this what first-time parents feel like?

No comments:

Post a Comment