Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Confidence? Check.

Distance: 10.6 mi.

Warmup: 3.6 mi.
Workout: 5.06 mi. at tempo pace.
Cooldown: 2 mi.

Today I skipped a morning run but I had tentative plans for a semi-hard effort with the Charlotte Runners' Booty Loop run. I met Adrienne on the warmup and told her that I felt rundown and unmotivated and wanted a confidence booster. My plan was to try to push but hold back if the body wasn't up for it.

I found Evan Canfield, usually my partner in crime for these things, and asked if he was planning to go hard. He said he "needed to," and would let me set the pace while trying to push. I didn't want this to turn into a race but I was looking forward to having someone to push me. After about half a mile, we got stuck at a stoplight, and I noticed Thomas Long was drafting off us as well.

31:39.54 for 5.06 miles. Splits - 6:28.7, 6:16.3, 6:00.8, 6:16.2, 6:14.1, 0:23.5 (6:15 avg.).

This is significantly faster than I have ever run this route. The first two miles felt very relaxed as I tried to keep Evan and Thomas honest by pushing up the Queens Road hill. When we got to the flat Selwyn Avenue section, I threw in a fitness check with a faster mile, which is reflected above. I always slow down some on the Queens Rd. West section, as it's dark, the sidewalk is uneven, and I'm always afraid I'm going to fall. I keep things pretty even, however, and I'm pleased with the consistency I put out.

More importantly, I have my confidence back. I don't know why I lost it - perhaps it was the three days of no running...maybe it was my being sick...maybe it was the way the mind always plays tricks on the body right before a big race.

This was a much harder effort than I need the week of the race, but AA assured me later on that I would be able to "handle it," and she's right. I can't seem to stretch enough lately, though. The legs are very tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment