Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Tempo? What?!

Distance: 11.6 mi.

Warmup: 2.4 mi.
Workout: 5.4 mi. tempo.
Cooldown: 2.8 mi.

Stubborn as a mule, I headed towards the Charlotte Runners group again today and decided to cook up a tempo pace. This was a terrible idea, but I'm getting antsy and I'm supposed to run a 5k this week, anyway. I didn't start with the group; instead, I warmed up on my own from home and headed in their direction by way of Kings Drive. I caught a large pack that included Paul Reinfeld right where they cross Kings and head up away from the hospital. After splitting a 7:01 first mile I worked my arms up the hill and gradually quickened the pace  a bit.

7:01.7, 6:40.3, 6:27.7, 6:33.9, 6:33.5, 2:38.6 (6:27 ppm).

Amped by the thought of trying to catch everyone, I kept my foot on the gas as much as I could stand it, trying to walk the fine line between working the system yet holding back. I failed to catch the group of David Schenck, Terri Johnson, and a new girl named Sarah as they were just too far ahead from where I started, but I was pleased with the effort.

I was not pleased with my stupidity. My achilles swelled up some despite the icing and the pills. I probably could have done without this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment