Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Beatty Park Hill Work

Distance: 8.18 mi.

Warmup: 2.65 mi.
Workout: 8*1/4-mi w/hill w/1-min rest.
Cooldown: 2.79 mi.

My temporary home is right behind Beatty Park, near Weddington, and I decided to head on over there today for some speed work. No use complaining about the awful development out here when I have gracious parkland at my disposal.

I used to run and play basketball at Beatty pretty regularly when I was in high school and college, but this was probably the first time I had been there in about eight years. It's much bigger than I remembered, and fully constructed.

I simply cruised around the park roads until I found a serviceable hill for some quarter-mile repeats. I measured a route that would go back down the gravel road by the lake, then take a sharp right up the asphalt hill. Eight hilly quarters with one-minute rest would be the order of business.

1:28.5 (0.1 mi.), 1:23.4 (.07), 1:25.5 (.12), 1:26.5 (.08), 1:30.4 (.12), 1:30.6 (.09), 1:29.8 (.09), 1:25.6 (.07).

I started off with a bit too much excitement, and that was reflected in the later splits. I think my slowing down had more to do with a lack of mental toughness than any physical failures; it's simply been awhile since I pushed myself at any distance, but especially a short distance. I closed with one of my better repeats and I think these times are pretty fast considering the hill, the turns, and the terrain. I'm pretty happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment