Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

2012 Skyline 5k

Distance: 7.9 mi.

Warmup: 2.2 mi.
Race: 3.1 mi. in 18:37.
Cooldown: 2.6 mi.

I didn't want to miss any Grand Prix series races, as discussed, so I showed up to the CPCC Skyline 5k to try my hand at some short racin.' I am not in top fitness and somewhat injured, so my goal was to run at about 80% effort as long as it could yield a respectable time. I accomplished that by running 18:37 on a fast course without pushing too hard.

I didn't get up in time to meet Mitchell and the crew for a warmup, but I did find a nice parking spot on 6th Street, away from the crowd. I jogged over to the "athletes village" in my Karhus, retrieved my timing chip, and found a place in the bushes to stash my stuff. I also ran into Fillette and he added some more warmup miles with me. This course would feature a very fast downhill finish on Elizabeth Avenue - perfect for a runner of my style and perfect for someone who wanted to half-ass it today.

The starting area was a bit crowded and small, but no matter. I learned my lesson from last year about using my size to push people out of the way at the front rather than lament some chiptime issues after the race. I eased back out of the way a bit as we turned from Kings up 7th and quickly realized I wasn't prepared for a fast race. I watched as Michelle and Dalena practically sailed away from me up ahead but I did manage to catch Jaskot. We joked around for a moment before I left him.

Running down 5th Street sucked, as the road was in the middle of being paved and I struggled for footing. I started to lose a lot of positions here, but I bided my time and gained many of them back by racing down Elizabeth and into the finish. I'm frustrated to be racing among friends and be far from full fitness, but I'm pretty pleased with my time considering where I am right now.

Splits: 5:50, 6:05, 6:00, 0:41 (4:54 pace for final 0.1).


No comments:

Post a Comment