Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Temp-o Time!

Distance: 9.00 mi
Time: 01:03:59 - 7:06 ppm
Running Buddy

Ah, yes...a successful tempo run. It's about damn time. I met David Brinkley at the Y at 5:50 a.m. (yes, 5:50). I got there early only to have him find me in the bathroom and yell at me to hurry up. We milled around with Paul and some of the other Dowd crew regulars before taking off. The plan was to do one mile slow, then 2 at marathon goal pace (7:10), 4 at tempo pace (6:40), and 2 more at MGP.

We went down Morehead and headed towards the Little Sugar Creek greenway in an effort to keep all the tough miles on the flat section. The first mile went by in 7:52 and then we got off a little fast (6:56). Settling down just a bit, we were now ready for the hard part. Again, we started off too quickly, coming through the first mile of the tempo section in 6:27. We worked together and just tried to keep the wheels from coming off as we took the greenway all the way to Park Road shopping center and ran through the parking lot before finally turning around.

Miles five and six had gone by in 6:36 and 6:43. We were fading. We entered Freedom Park and managed to salvage things, picking up the pace and coming through in 6:37. My troublesome left shin was really bothering me on this run, so I stopped to tie my shoes tighter, which actually seemed to help. Dave was done, choosing to trot the final two miles back to the Y at cooldown pace. I was not able to keep it at MGP but tried my best to run a respectable pace back to the Dowd. I came upon Jamaar Valentine on the sidewalk on Morehead and cruised to the end.

It felt good to successfully complete a really hard workout like this, but I am worried about my left leg....again.

No comments:

Post a Comment