Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Long Run in New Shoes

Distance: 12.14 mi
Time: 01:38:41 - 8:07 ppm
Running Buddy

I did something somewhat absurd today: I got up and out the door before 5. I wanted to watch my friends run the latest GPX event, the Blue Points 5k, which started at 7:30 a.m. near the stadium downtown. With family plans for the Sunday, I knew I would have to get my long run in before the race. So I started at the Dowd and got in some good, decent-paced miles under the streetlights. The cool part about running this early is I can run down a main road like Kings or Sharon without worrying about cars (although I don't recommend this - I am a crazy person).

My Nikes felt fantastic. I am in heaven. I feel like a cheating husband who has come sobbing back into the arms of his forgiving wife after months of infidelity. My affair with the young hotness - Brooks, Mizuno, etc - is over. And Brooks, I'm sorry, but you knew what this was.

The pace reflected in the stats above is skewed by the fact that I forgot to stop my watch several times while I was watching and filming Blue Points. I spent a few minutes refreshing myself at the Dowd before heading over to the intersection of Stonewall and McDowell - right at mile one. A pack of college or post-college studs came flying past, well ahead of Paul and the usual suspects at this point. Billy and Brinkley both ran really well but most of my friends were disappointed with their times, as this was a tough course and the conditions were pretty brutal. I was glad I had gotten my long run out of the way early.

No comments:

Post a Comment