Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2011

McAlpine Speed Intervals

Warmup - 1.90 mi in 00:14:58/7:54 ppm.
Session One - 4 x half-mile at speed interval pace with 2:00 rest. 3:03, 2:59, 3:00, 3:06.
Session Two - 4 x quarter-mile at speed interval pace with 1:00 rest. 1:31, 1:35, 1:33, 1:27.
Cooldown - 1.95 mi in 00:15:02/7:43 ppm.

Today was yet another case of me staying up late the previous night, then sleeping in and rushing out the door to get the work done. This time, my motivation to run fast including an impending mountain getaway, so I had plenty to look forward to while I was racing around McAlpine Park. 

I did my warmup trot down the greenway, where surely enough I passed Mike Mitchell, who was just finishing up his run. I had entertained ideas of recruiting him for help but figured I would be too late, and I figured right. I approached the park and realized I was once again in the midst of a large race. A large high school race, to be precise. I bumped into Christi and Jamaar and then proceeded to jump into the first part of my workout: 4 x 800 (I actually did half-milers) at "speed interval pace," which is basically about 5k race pace (hopefully a little slower at this point). 

On account of the meet I headed away from the park and towards Harris Boulevard. I was bummed I couldn't run on the course, but oh well. I just tried to get comfortable and I felt like I was working hard enough but not really hurting, and the two minutes between each rep was more than enough. I finished the halves and adjusted the watch to do quarters, still on the Harris/Margaret Wallace section of the greenway. This time I was hurting, without much rest this time, and just tried to get through it. Somehow my last one ended up being my fastest, even though I spent it trying to get out of everyone's way.

As I was walking around, about to begin my cooldown, I heard a distant voice call out, "Get out of the way!" I crossed the course and made my way over to the bushes, and heard once again, louder this time: "BLACKWOOD, GET OUT OF THE WAY!" It was Hovis and Compton, two Providence Day alums up to no good as usual. Actually, they were preparing to watch their varsity boys compete in what was actually a 3k. I watched the start from a safe place off to the side and then cooled down back to the Sardis lot, satisfied with the day's work and ready to get out of town for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment