Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Running With The Chicks

Warmup: 3.2 mi in 25:13.02 - 7:55 ppm.
Workout 1: 6.45 mi tempo in 42:13.17 - 6:33 ppm.
Cooldown: 1.8 mi in 15:31.8 - 8:47 ppm.
Workout 2: 10 x 1-min hard/easy in 9:08.07 - 7:05 ppm.
Cooldown: 0.7 mi in 6:47.4 - 9:26 ppm.

I once again made plans for the Tuesday that involved meeting some friends at the Dowd and doing a tempo run with the Charlotte Runners. At this point I feel like I'm combining the best aspects of both groups - the CRC and Charlotte Runners - but we may have to get to that in another blog post.

A few things were different today. Thomas, unfortunately, is temporarily on the shelf after aggravating his glutes. Hopefully he won't be out for too long. Danielle and Alison Reed also joined Michelle, Matt, and I. We warmed up through the speed loop again but didn't see anyone this time, and Jaskot called it a day. So it was just me and the girls as we headed towards the Metropolitan.

The Charlotte Runners didn't start off late this time - they were already moving towards us as we all just sort of took stride and went with them. The loop is just over 5 miles and the girls actually wanted to do a 6-mile tempo, so I told them I would try to hold 6:30 pace or so and run back up the hill on Edgehill (across from the main CMC entrance) for an extra mile or so.

There's one runner in this group, Evan, who usually holds a pretty quick pace. A few others tend to start off probably a good bit faster than they should. There are some good runners in this group, for sure, but I'm not sure that trying to race each other every week is really what they need. With Michelle in tow, I headed up the hilly part of the loop that includes Edgehill and Queens Road East. I heard Michelle saying something about trying to use the small downhills, but I was just trying to keep Evan and the other frontrunners in my sights, knowing we had a flat section (Selwyn Avenue) coming up. The first mile went by in 6:39, the second in 6:26, and the third in 6:20. I caught up to Evan, who actually stopped abruptly right near Queens U, and the other leader, who I found out later to be Cody Case. I was feeling ok but my feet were hurting. After over 420 miles and my first marathon, I finally retired the second pair of Nike Air Pegasus 28s. Today I was running in the aforementioned Lunar Swift, and they don't quite fit the way I prefer. I could see painful blisters in my future.

Despite the foot troubles I tried to press on. Cody pushed me a good bit on the back side of the booty loop, but as planned I turned up Edgehill to tack on more miles. I slowed down a bit through here, as the tempo, the foot pain, and the elevation rise finally caught up to me. I doubled back down Granville and another of the Queens Roads (who can keep track, really?) before finishing the loop at the back of the pack. The girls were already here; I had added on an extra mile-and-a-half instead of just a mile. Oops.

Alison, Danielle, Michelle, and I grabbed some water and cooled down. Michelle somehow talked me into doing some minuters after this. Danielle was done for the day and ran home, and we coaxed Alison into joining us as we headed over to the speed loop. For this I just tried to maintain some turnover and not do anything crazy. We encouraged each other as the three of us just stayed together. Mich kept joking that my watch was off because the fast section seemed to be taking forever. We did 10 minuters - 5 fast, 5 slow - and then I jogged back to the Dowd in the rain, glad to be done for the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment