Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Bad Muscles, Good Company

Distance: 16 mi.
Time: 2:00:00 - 7:30 ppm.

This one hurt, but I got the miles in at a decent pace. I think I worked harder than necessary on account of being a little overdressed, but it was 22 degrees when I started so I bundled up. I don't have any recent experience in running in weather this cold since I was injured last winter and haven't seriously trained through a winter in nine years. I need some new jogging pants.

Anyway, I started by myself before being joined by Mitchell and Brinkley. The former only wanted to run 8 miles so we went to Harris and back before dropping him off. I think I failed to mention in previous posts that I have started using Gu chomps instead of the Gu gel during long runs, and certainly plan to do the same during any long race. I got the idea from Brewer, who mentioned that constantly sucking or chewing on one of the chomps helped him stay hydrated and somewhat full during the race. As this is my second time using them, I can say I feel the same way. I also don't feel quite as hungry or drained after a run.

I was feeling awfully tight today, stopping to stretch or to re-lace my shoes or to simply slow down the pace more than usual. I got it done, though. I was hoping to go for 17 but this will work. On to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment