Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Trials of Miles...Miles of Trials

Distance: 22 mi.
Time: 2:47:42 - 7:37 ppm.

I love it when people bring me food at work, but a spicy chicken sandwich at 10 p.m. was a poor request on my part. So, despite this being a great run, things didn't get started off all that well. I met David at Old Bell at 7am, as planned, and was pleased to find a row of porta-jons set up. I wondered if this would be a new thing. It's about damned time, I thought. Much to my chagrin, they were locked. Wtf?! We started up Boyce Road to begin our 22-mile run, and at my insistence turned into the park so I could use the bathrooms there. They, too, were locked. Are you f*&$&@ kidding me?!?!  We then headed to the main entrance of McAlpine Park so I could finally take care of business. By the time I was ready to run, Dave was about three miles ahead of me. Great.

We ran up Monroe Road and Brinkley nearly jumped in front of a car trying to cross the street. Yikes. Luckily, the car saw him and darted over. Let's try to put that moment behind us... It was pretty chilly and we just sort of eased into this one, but we got in some good hill work in the Boyce neighborhoods before meeting back up with Eggers and Mitchell at Old Bell. My stomach was still upset and the porta-jons were open at this point - I found out they were there because of the morning's Run for Warriors event - so I told the boys to meet me back here at a later time. I had also left my car key in the bathroom at McAlpine. Did I mention today wasn't really my day? I ran towards the park and found many of the event's competitors, including Michelle Hazelton. We talked about possibly meeting up at a later time but I wanted to rejoin the fellas at this time.

Hungry for more hills, I ran the short Old Bell loop before waiting for Eggers, Brinkley, and Mitchell. I was over halfway done at this point but my legs were feeling pretty tight. I kept having to stop and stretch. We passed the Warriors event runners several times as they made their loops, including the pack of Michelle, Carolyn, and the Crockfords. We also passed Spada and Compton several times as each appeared to be doing a solo workout.

This was a cool day to be out on the trails with so many people. They had a guitarist set up near the Sardis weir, and...well, they also had some photographers. Despite not being actual competitors, we got in the action. I can't save the photos without buying them, but if you click here and scroll down you can find some funny candids of the three amigos logging some miles on the trails.

At 22 miles, I assure you this is my longest run of the cycle. I would be lying if I told you I felt good but I got it done and recovered nicely later on in the day. Despite some setbacks in the cycle, things have been going pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment