Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

First Meetup Run

Distance: 10.2 mi.
Time: 1:14:07 - 7:16 ppm.

This one was slightly eventful, as I have recently joined the Charlotte Runners group on Meetup. I guess I was just curious about this group since I had heard from several people involved that their runs tend to be a little more fun than anything else. My friend Jade is a member so I had asked her about it, then eventually signed up. Today I made it to their Tuesday night "5 on the Booty" run that starts at the Metropolitan. I wanted to go medium-long today so I got there early and ran the loop by myself, just cruising along.

I got back to the Metropolitan and drank some water. There was a large group around, including a few familiar faces. Several people came up and introduced themselves, recognizing that I was new. The group organizer gathered everyone over to the starting line before sending us off. I thought that was a little weird but figured it's better than simply taking off to run without making sure everyone is ready. This really does seem like a cool group; it's a good mix of serious runners, people new to running and trying to get better, and people who just want to have fun.

I found Franklin Keathley, an acquaintance of mine, and re-introduced myself. We started at the back of the pack and started picking people off. By the time we got up to Selwyn we were moving pretty quickly and had already passed most people. I asked Franklin how many people he thought were ahead of us. "Just a few, I think," he said. I then asked him if he thought we could catch them all. I was feeling frisky.

We raced down Queens West, crossed the street near CMC, and continued to mow down more runners. I was having fun, and to my pleasant surprise Franklin was hanging on not far behind me. I caught an older gentleman right near the gazebo on the greenway and announced that I didn't have any gears left. I tucked in behind him. I had run my last three miles in 7:05, 6:35, and 6:08, and had caught all but two of the runners. One of them was John Cristiano, who I probably could not have caught regardless of where we started. I spent some time talking to him about the Thunder Road marathon and a few other things. There was an after party at Vivace but I had other plans for the evening, and bolted after congratulating Franklin on his longest run of all time.

I enjoyed this run and the group in general. I don't really see myself being part of the social scene but it's definitely a fun group to run with. I like how everyone stays in a big pack and sticks around to congratulate everybody when the run is over.


No comments:

Post a Comment