Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Workout Boredom

Warmup: 1.13 mi in 9:04.16 - 8:03 ppm.
Session 1: 3.0 mi  marathon goal pace in 21:31.49 - 7:11 ppm; 6:54, 7:13, 7:24.
Session 2: 3 x half-mile cruise pace with 2:00 rest. 3:15, 3:08, 3:16.
Session 3: 3.0 mi tempo pace in 19:51.12 - 6:37 ppm; 6:39, 6:30, 6:41.

The title explains that I'm tired of doing this workout already, and it appears on my training plan seemingly from now until the end of time. I understand why it's such a good workout but I don't like boredom. Nevertheless, I suited up and headed to McAlpine to get it done.

I continue to be awful at taking care of my body, and I'm still feeling a little rundown from being sick, so I gave myself a built-in excuse for this one. I was prepared to shut it down if things weren't going well. True to form, I started off a little too fast on the MGP sections. I need to just learn to crawl the first mile there and then keep it respectable from then on out. For the half-milers, I was using a slight decline at the start from my place on the greenway to launch into an "early lead," so to speak, and bank the time, then cruise home. Those seem remarkably easy compared to what always falls next.

I wasn't feeling up to speed and almost called off the three tempo miles. Instead I told myself to start off at the desired pace (6:40 or so) and see how I felt. I also decided to skip the hill part of the course this time. I came through mile one in just under 6:40 and feeling all right. I upped the tempo for the second one, trying to keep the pace at or under 6:30, and came through in exactly 6:30. Banking the time, once again, for better or worse. I didn't have another 6:30 in me today but finished with a respectable 6:41 split. I'm pleased with the effort.

However, I seem to have developed some pain in my right heel. I guess the right foot was jealous of all the attention my left foot has gotten the last year and decided to cry out. It's time to investigate the latest ailment.

No comments:

Post a Comment