Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2011

I Got Your Gel Right Here

Distance: 16 mi.
Time: 1:58:23.99 - 7:24 ppm.

I have never felt as good after a long run as I did today. This is one of the more encouraging runs I have had in all of 2011, as well.

I met Eggers, Brinkley, and Brian Baum at Old Bell at 7 a.m. sharp. I was surprised to see Oelz, who's training for the Thunder Road half, in attendance as well. I hadn't seen him since his wedding and I was excited to once again good-naturedly mock him for 8 miles or so. Baum is also training for the TR half. Eggers, Brinkley, and myself are training for the TR full for those of you who are as yet unawares.

We set off at the usual "old man crawl" for a few before easing into a consistently good pace. We wound through the Campbell Creek area, back around the course, and back to the cars, where we said goodbye to Oelz. Everyone except me took fuel and water. I hadn't even brought any but felt I didn't need it just yet. We wound through the Boyce switchbacks, where Eggers showed off his impressive trail-running prowess and I just tried not to roll an ankle or step on a snake. We were still moving.

Eggers and Baum weren't planning to go as far as Dave and I, but we decided to run back to the cars with them and get in our extra miles on the Old Bell hills. Yikes, really? Did we really just decide that? Who made this decision? Ah, well. I suppose it will be a good test for TR to get our legs tired and then run up and down some ferocious hills. Who needs the Blue Ridge relay when you have Old Bell at the end of a fast long run?

We each congratulated Baum on achieving his longest run of all time, at 15 miles, and Dave and I took off up some hills. We were working but remarkably kept the pace consistent. After running a 6:55 down the greenway for mile 14, we clocked a 7:21 and a 7:03 on the hills. I am very happy with that.

I capped off the run with a lot of Gatorade and a tour of Dave's new house, feeling more than recovered. My heel was an issue in the early going but didn't bother me after mile three.

No comments:

Post a Comment