Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Achilles Heel

Distance: 9.06 mi.
Time: 1:08:46.05 - 7:35 ppm.

I neglected to do a workout today, instead choosing the medium-long route. As I am slightly banged up and near the halfway point I am leaning on altering my plan to only do one workout each week. I may change this here and there but I'm not sure it's a bad idea.

Speaking of being banged up, let's make it clear that I am not injured. However, it became clear to me after this run that I need to take some precautions. I reached out to my unofficial physical therapist, the great Tommy John, and explained that I either had retrocalcaneal bursitis or achilles tendinitis (upon further review, it appears to be the latter). As usual, he cursed my sport, then prescribed the usual dosage of a million calf raises and day-long wall sits and no running until I am strong enough to pick up a car and throw into the McAlpine lake. In all seriousness, I do reach out to Tommy for a reason and his rehab methods have worked wonders for me this year as I have upped my training. And I have already been doing the calf raises regularly, so I don't have far to go. This little setback appears to be put at ease with minimal treatment, but I will have to keep an eye on it.

And I will not be running for the rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment