Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

Finally: some progress

Session One: 2 mi warmup + 3 mi MGP. Splits - 7:34, 7:46, 7:10, 7:12, 7:17.
Session Two: 4 x half-mile @ cruise pace (~6:20 ppm) with 2:00 rest in between. Splits - 3:07, 3:02, 3:05, 3:06.
Session Three: 3 mi @ tempo pace (~6:40+ ppm) in 20:19/6:47 ppm. Splits 6:32, 6:53, 6:54.
Cooldown: 2.4 mi in 23:23 - 9:44 ppm.

This is the same workout that I mentioned I was beginning to hate, and now I have come to like it. Allow me to explain: the early session gives me plenty of time to warm up, then those half-milers in the middle really get the legs moving, which then makes the tempo pace at the end a little bit easier. Today, I was unable to come down from half-mile pace at the beginning of the tempo section and nearly bonked that part, but I managed to come home in respectable fashion. This was a good workout.

I had been frustrated with the way things have gone for me lately, and I was able to regain some confidence today. The cooler weather has certainly helped, and my heel still hurts but it seems to be getting better, not worse. I am still doing calf raises like it's my job and just need to continue doing so until the end of time.

I ran from home today in the direction of Freedom Park. I made it to the park in time for the halves and did them all around the lake. I had quite an audience, as the park was very crowded on a Friday afternoon. I felt light, smooth, and fast, and came through faster than I was supposed to on each one. For the tempo session I decided to run the Freedom 5k course and, as mentioned, started off too fast. I had to slow way down to reach mile one in 6:32. I was able to keep the next two under 7 - albeit just barely - but didn't quite run this session as fast as I had the last time.

All in all, though, I am very pleased that I haven't lost any fitness and am encouraged about going forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment