Pages

Friday, May 11, 2012

2012 Twilight 5k

Distance: 8.9 mi.

Warmup: 3.00 mi.
Race: 5 km (3.14 mi.) in 18:59.22/6:03 ppm.
Cooldown: 2.73 mi.

This race wasn't fun. I hate running in the evenings, let alone racing in the evenings. I'm almost retro-posting here so forgive me, but this recap will be short (eh, maybe you like that, huh?).

After a short shakeout run earlier in the day I parked at the Dowd around 6 p.m. and began to get ready. On the bright side, I got in a 3-mile warmup, which is about what I prefer but something that almost never happens. So long as I'm reasonably fit, I prefer an extra half-mile or so in the warmup to get the legs moving and I accomplished that today.

This race would be held in uptown Charlotte, starting off relatively flat or downhill and getting rough near the end. I didn't really have a goal; as previously stated I'm a little banged-up but wanted to participate in all the Grand Prix races and see what happened if the points accrued.

5:47, 6:02, 6:23, 0:46 (5:35 pace).

The fast finish up a hill after utterly blowing the third mile would lead one to believe that I saved too much in this thing. I don't think there's much question that I'm still relatively fit, but I'm clearly hurting. I don't like admitting it but it might be time to seek another opinion when it comes to the achilles and the resulting compensation ailments (mostly in the groin/adductor and hamstring areas). I enjoyed racing with Franklin Keathley, though - I think seeing him pass me kept that last half-mile from getting away from me. He got me in the final quarter but I was at least able to break 19.

I would soon be on the shelf for awhile, though...again.

No comments:

Post a Comment